- 19th March 2012
- Posted by: Rosalind Howard
- Category: NL Week
Time to Read – 5 Minutes
Time to Watch – 5 Minutes
“My Customers are Revolting”: Putting the marketing into Digital Marketing”
Last week I had the great honour to be invited to the Inaugural professorial lecture by my very good friend Professor Mark Durkin, University of Ulster Business School.
His main points:
• Digital Marketing doesn’t exist – it’s actually just marketing
• Focus on your customers, not on the technology
• Everyone is talking about how to use digital marketing, instead ask yourself why
• There are Digital Natives (They have never known the world without The Net) Digital Tourists (Who remember the BI – Before Internet – days) – again, most of the conversation is how to reach the Digital Natives, and yet by 2020 these people will still constitute a small minority of the population in the UK.
Mark was formally thanked by Professor Stephen Spinelli Jr, President of Philadelphia University, who praised Mark’s ability to cut through the detail to present helpful conclusions relevant to today’s very busy professionals.
He (Stephen) then showed this wonderful clip from YouTube, from Saturday Night Live broadcast around 1979 – over 30 years ago!
With my love and best wishes to you all